Monday, January 13, 2014

Healthy Thai Chicken Salad

 So Happy New Year!  I think this time of year everyone has New Years Resolutions to eat healthier.  I know I do every year.  I can't help but to indulge in the holiday foods that are passed around and baked in my home!  Usually I gain at least 5 lbs from Halloween to New Years Eve, then vow to get it back off by April.  This year, I am happy to report I actually lost 10 lbs in the past 2 months.  It took a lot of self control to pass up the goodies, but I made sure not to deprive myself of my absolute favorites!!
Anyways, onto this Thai Chicken Salad.  Yumm!  I adapted this from of course my favorite food blog, OUR BEST BITES!!  I left a few things out, and changed portion sizes because I recalculated their calculations and they were way off.  They said it was 399 calories and it was way over!  So I made it 373 calories and very satisfying!!!


I use this PB2 powdered peanut butter in place of regular peanut butter to save a LOT of calories.  I use it in my Protein Shakes as well and it tastes great!!
Yeilds: 1 serving
373 calories using the PB2 rather than creamy peanut butter

1 Cup shredded cabbage
3/4 Cup cooked shredded chicken
1/4 Cup cooked and cooled Quinoa
1 Green Onion - Diced
1/4 Cup - diced celery
2 TBLSP- chopped cilantro

Dressing:
1 TBLSP - PB2 (powdered peanut butter) or creamy Peanut Butter
1 tsp - olive oil
1 TBLSP- rice vinegar
1 tsp - soy sauce
1 tsp - agava or honey

1 TBLSP- chopped cashews
1 lime wedge

Combine the top salad ingredients.  I like to bake my chicken with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic at 350 for about 25-35 min, depending on size of chicken breasts.  And precook them by golly so your not having to wait soo long for lunch!!  The quinoa as well.  Pre-cook and store in refridgerator.
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whip it until well combined.  Pour it over your salad and toss to combine.  Top with your cashews and a squirt of lime.
That my friends, is a good, healthy salad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment