Thursday, September 6, 2012

Homemade Salsa - Canning

If your like me, I'm ALWAYS on the hunt for the perfect Salsa!!!  I've found some good ones along the way, some vinegary ones, some sweet ones, some spicy!  Some that I like and my husband doesn't, but this one my friends, was the perfect consistency and taste, and we BOTH love it!!!  Thank you Jen Casey for providing me with this yummy recipe whom she got from a relative in Idaho!  A recipe well worth passing on to others and to store on my blog!!!


I actually halved this recipe, and changed up the peppers and used what I had!  I'll give you the original version along with my tweaks!!!  MY VERSION FIRST!!!
Karie's Version - 1/2 recipe - Made 10 pints

16 Cups chopped tomatoes -  Blanch for 20 sec in boiling water to remove skins first.  Then I chopped and  stuck in the ninja and pulsed a couple of times
3 green bell peppers - chopped
1 red bell pepper - chopped
3 jalepeno peppers - chopped
1 hot yellow pepper- chopped
1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped celery
2 Medium size onions - chopped
3 cloves garlic - chopped fine
1/2 TBLS paprika
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup vinegar
1 T ground pepper
1/4 Cup pickling salt
1 tsp cumin
2 small cans of tomato paste.
I just simmered everything together for 1 hour.  The processed in pints for 25 minutes!  YUMM

Makes 30 pints - Shaunna's Salsa

10 quarts tomoatoes, peeled and chopped.  (Blanch in boiling water for 20 seconds to remove skins)
6 red or green bell peppers
6 yellow peppers
5 jalepeno peppers
4 long 6-8 in. green peppers
4 long 6-8 in. red peppers
1 quart diced celery
4-6 diced large onions
6 cloves garlic
Remove seeds from peppers and dice.  Add to tomatoes along with celery, onions and garlic.  Cook all together for 1 hour until soft.  Add the following:
1 T paprika
3/4 cup sugar
1 C vinegar
2 T course ground pepper
1/2 Cup salt
2 tsp. cumin
2 quarts tomato paste
Simmer for 1 hour.  Bottle in pints and process for 25 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I want to make this too! I was just going to make boring old tomato sauce. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete