Sunday, September 25, 2011

Rumbi Grill - Chicken Teriyaki & Veggie Rice Bowl

So I came to learn quickly, that this dish is FABULOUS! So easy, so yummy, and so nice to use up those veggies out of your garden! Once again, I have Megan Kenney to thank for this one! I'm trying to get all my old recipes on here, but can't stop myself from trying new ones along the way! And I must warn you because I got the same warning from Megan, you have to use Mr. Yoshida's sauce to get what we get out of this dish, NO Substitutions! She actually drove it over to me so I wouldn't make a huge mistake, and I'm sooo glad she did! Now I have a half gallon of that stuff sitting in my fridge because I loved it sooo much! As you can see I go, waay light on the rice because I try to go low carb, but brown rice is served underneath all those yummy vegetables & Chicken.








RUMBI RICE BOWLS

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 carrots peeled and grated
2 celery stalks washed and sliced
1/2 zucchini chopped into cubes
1/2 yellow squash chopped into cubes


1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
2 cups chicken grilled and cut into small cubes ( I seasoned with S & P but you don't need much because the sauce completely takes over the whole dish!

Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, zucchini, and broccoli (pretty much equal parts of said vegetables.. you can add more or less veggies depending on your taste). Saute ONLY until vegetables are crisp tender. About 3-5 minutes tops. Serve over Rumbi rice and top with chicken. Serve with Spicy Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce on the side (about 3 Tbsp. per bowl.. you can add more or less depending on your taste).


SPICY HAWAIIAN TERIYAKI SAUCE
(Rumbi Grill)

3/4 cup Mr. Yoshidas Teriyaki Sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp chili sauce
1 tsp fresh ginger
pinch of salt
pinch of brown sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp cold water

Combine Yoshida's, soysauce, garlic sauce, ginger, salt, and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Combine cornstarch and water and SLOWLY add to sauce for thickening. You want it to be slightly thicker than the Yoshida's sauce. Allow to simmer for about a minute. Cool to room temperature and serve with your rice bowls. (If you find that the sauce is too thick when it cools, just add a little more Yoshida's to it)

3 comments:

  1. Karie, I'm stalking your blog and am going to TRY this diet. Especially having a child with type one diabetes, it seems it could be worth it. This recipe looks yummy, but went to Walmart and Macey's today, and couldn't find Mr. Yoshida's...where do you find it?
    Thanks for the recipes! Caitland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitland -I'm so glad you are going to do the challenge! If you can get your whole family to eat this way, more power to you! I wish I could! My boys aren't quite there...
    I got Mr. Yoshida's at Sams Club! And sooo worth it!
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karie! Ya, I've been able to get away with some of the things with my kids...but definitely not all. Totally wish I could though! I'm still gonna try! :)

    ReplyDelete