Sunday, October 30, 2011

Moms Sugar Cookies

I've been using this sugar cookie recipe my whole life. And I don't think I can ever change. The same frosting too! Maybe it's just what I'm used to, but I seriously bite into store boughten, or other home-made versions of sugar cookies and just don't love them. So I'm going to stick to what I LOVE. I found some black food coloring this year that was lots of fun because usually I only have orange, white and green. But Black puts the spirit into Halloween, don't ya think? 2/3 Cup Butter - Softenend
1 Cup Sugar
2 eggs - beaten
1/4 Cup Milk
1 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
4 Cups flour -divided
Cream together your butter and sugar. Add in your beaten eggs. Dissolve your soda in your milk and blend. Add your vanilla and salt and mix well. Gradually add about 3 1/2 Cups flour (the rest you will use to flour your surface and your rolling pin). The key to great sugar cookie dough is to NOT over mix it. The more you mix it, the harder your cookies will turn out. So just mix the dough until everything is well combind then I kind of ball it up with my hands, cover your bowl with cling wrap and let it chill for an hour. After chilled, preheat your oven to 350*. I break my ball of dough into 2 halfs. Flour your surface well and roll 1/2 of your dough until it's about 1/4 of an inch thick. You want THICK fluffy cookies, right? Then you need Thick, Fluffy dough my friends :). Don't over roll your dough either. Use it about 3 times, then throw away what didn't get used and move on to your second ball of dough. Cook for 8-10 min. You don't want to see the light golden brown that you usually want to see on other cookies :)

And for the best Frosting ever use this recipe:
6 TBLSP Butter -softenend
3 Cup Powdered Sugar ( or more, depending on how thick you want it.)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 Cup Milk (evaporated milk is best)
Add every thing in a medium mixing bowl except your milk. Mix with a blender while slowly adding your milk to the consistency you want your frosting. I usually don't use all the milk because I like my frosting thick! But one bit of advice about your vanilla: I usually like to use real foods, whole foods, not immitations. BUT when it comes to frosting or icecream, PLEASE use IMMITATION!! It makes a huge difference. Pure vanilla is just way too strong for frosting! Then frost those bad boys up with your kids and let your kids sprinkle them to death with treats!!! Chocolate covered toffee bits are awesome on them!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment